Seeking a Sr. Manager, Release Management with 8+ years in Release Management experience leading large complex projects and prior team management experience for a global telecom company in Bellevue, WA
The Portfolio Intake and Release team is looking for a high energy people manager, that has a track record of building and managing high performance teams along with a strong background in Continuous Delivery and Release. This team owns the Release Management/Release Delivery lifecycle which includes scheduling, coordinating and the management of releases across the enterprise for multiple applications across various portfolios. The releases can be inclusive of application updates, enhancements, patches, bug fixes security improvements, HW upgrades and large enterprise related Project/Program initiatives. Where necessary you’ll provide services to help product management and project teams manage and deploy releases into production. You’ll also provide best practices, processes, and release governance to help development teams manage and deploy releases into production environments using a hybrid of traditional Waterfall as well as Agile methodologies. You’ll be responsible to provide read outs of “Lessons Learned” and provide recommendations for mitigations.
This position also works with DTD (Digital Technology Development) management to align with the software engineering processes and practices associated with continuously building, deploying and updating software and environments. This role supports the effort of defining the DTD strategic direction for release management tools for DTD to ensure the process requirements of release management are built in.
- Build, maintain and evolve a high performing release management team.
- Leads development and training of Release management team members. Establishes goals for the department and individual team members in alignment with company objectives. Measures performance against goals. Demands continual improvement in quality of work and processes, and promotes the highest levels of team morale. Embraces change in the organization and strives for “world class” technical and organizational performance.
- Build the DTD Release Calendar by working closely with the DTD resources from different portfolios across DTD and creating a centralized view of all releases.
- Interface and communicate with Test Managers, Dev Managers, IT Ops and the PMO daily.
- Provide reporting as well as meeting updates to the Senior DTD Management including the CIO as well as executives within the business.
- Forward Plan the release windows and cycles across a portfolio.
- Measure and monitor progress to ensure application releases are delivered on time and that they meet or exceed expectations.
- Coordinate release content and effort based on the service request backlog, pending service requests, third party applications, or operating system updates.
- Serves as a higher-level escalation point for release issues. Works with Manager-level peers to resolve cross-functional issues.
- Manage relationships and coordinate work between different teams at different locations.
- Conduct Release Readiness reviews, Milestone Reviews, and Business Go/No-Go reviews.
- Produce Deployment, Run Books and Implementation Plans.
- Weekly Release Reporting.
- Communicate release details and schedules to the Enterprise as required.
- Negotiate, plan and manage all release activities.
- Work with release engineers to understand impacts of branches and code merges.
- Maintains the release schedule for all core services and ensure alignment across key partners and vendors.
- Continually work towards making improvements in the release process.
- Lead and co-ordinate the Go-Live activities including the execution of the deployment Plans and checklists.
- Maintains a release repository and manages key information such as build and release procedures, dependencies, and notification lists.
- Researches new software development and configuration management methodologies and technologies and analyzes their application to current configuration management needs.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Project Management or other
- 8 years of experience:
· Managing personnel and coaching team members on resolving conflict and performance issues; formal training in coaching or management skills required
· In the telecommunications or IT industry, with a proven record of progressive and/or diverse roles
· Release Management experience with managing or leading large, complex technology projects
· Developing and delivering professional presentations on project status and issues to the senior management level
- Knowledge of wireless telecommunications, with focus on Engineering, Operations and Development.
- Ability to function as an effective team leader; solve practical problems, set organizational goals and team objectives, and delegate and monitor progress towards desired results
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities, exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views, give and receive feedback, contribute to building a positive team spirit, and put success of team above own interests
- Ability to build morale and lead group commitments to goals and objectives
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information, collect and research data, use intuition and experience to complement data, design work flows and procedures, analyze data, and recognize key trends, in order to enable executive-level decision making
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly and concisely present information in one-on-one and small group situations and interact effectively at all levels and across diverse corporate cultures
- Excellent time management skills
- Proficient in use of MS Office, specifically Project, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong customer and results orientation
- Ability to think creatively, work under pressure, and demonstrate strong analytical skills with excellent attention to detail
- PMP certification desired
- Scrum certification desired
- U.S. citizen/green card holder required.