Seeking a highly motivated Lab Engineer who has a diverse set of technical skills, including electronics assembly, soldering, machining, mechanical assembly, and testing. The candidate must feel comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment. This position will be in our Electro-Optic Systems division.
- Plan and execute laboratory experiments under the direction of Research Scientists and Project Managers.
- Assemble, align, and test optical and opto-mechanical systems including lasers, optical components (telescopes, lenses, photodetectors) and fiber optics components.
- Hands-on design, fabrication (including cutting, machining, drilling, tapping, gluing, painting, molding, casting etc.), assembly, and test of prototypes.
- Familiarity with general laboratory equipment (scopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters, programmable power supplies and process controllers, etc.), conducting experiments, and handling data collection.
- Prepare and track purchasing requisitions and interface with buyers to handle procurement of parts and components. Produce written reports for Project Managers detailing the progress of laboratory work.
- BS/MS degree preferred in Optics, Holography, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Image Processing, and other related engineering preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in an optical lab or manufacturing setting. Familiarity with lab equipment (scopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters, programmable power supplies and process controllers, etc.), conducting experiments & handling data collection.
- Some experience in setting up optics and optical alignments (free-space, not fiber-optic).
- Must be able to multi-task efficiently, commit to and work under deadlines.
- Good communication and organization skills.
- Experience with LabVIEW, MatLab, and/or 3D CAD modeling software (Solidworks)
- U.S. citizen/green card holder required