The Sr. Manufacturing Engineer (DFMAT) will provide technical production engineering leadership in area of Design for Manufacturing, Assembly, and Test (DFMAT) for Satellite Vehicle Engineering and Satellite Systems Product Lines. The highly-skilled engineer will lead cross-discipline teams across engineering and programs to architect and insert best-of-industry manufacturing practices, frameworks, standards, and tools early into engineering design to ensure the most cost effective and schedule saving design, manufacturing, assembly/integration approaches and outcomes across multiple product disciplines and product lines for our satellite systems.
The ideal candidate will bring best industry practices and approaches from other aerospace products (space systems, aircraft), terrestrial, marine or other product development intensive industries including automotive industry or other equivalent schedule/manufacturing intensive industries. Candidate will interface with multiple engineering organizations including design, analysis, materials and processes in addition to the production engineering community: manufacturing engineering, planning, industrial engineering, tooling, special test, etc.
The engineer will survey satellite vehicles, product lines, subsystems, product domains, and our production engineering environment and suppliers and architect a comprehensive DFMAT approach, project plan and initiatives prioritizing key engineering disciplines and product domains for early DFMAT focus highlighting and closing critical path – technical and long lead manufacturing efforts.
Candidate will provide experience, working-level technical knowledge and build architecture vision to increase product affordability and reduce build schedule across multiple product domains including space vehicle, satellite common product, payload, and antenna subsystems.
- Analyzes product development, innovative producibility studies and production/tooling philosophies.
- Conceptualizes and oversees the implementation of the program architecture for build. Consults upper management on long-range planning.
- Develops manufacturing plans or concepts for high level program requirements.
- Conducts producibility and variation analyses at the program Large Scale Systems Integration (LSSI) level.
- Resolves complex technical problems.
- Organizes technical aspects of proposal development.
- Develops and authors new engineering principles, theories and advanced technologies. Develops advanced design solutions.
- Conducts research resulting in new product or business opportunities.
- Consults on lean principles and technologies for enterprise wide initiatives.
- Documents and communicates producibility best practices.
- Identifies training needs.
- Establishes procedures, standards, protocols and reporting requirements.
- Bachelors Degree with 14+ years of experience, Master’s Degree with 12+ years of experience, PhD with 9+ years of experience in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
- Must have extensive experience with design for manufacturing, assembly and test (DFMAT) AND technical knowledge of DFMAT processes, standards, and tools.
- Experience with design and manufacturing engineering, manufacturing planning, assembly integration and test, including industrial engineering concepts.
- Occasional travel may arise.
- US citizenship required to obtain security clearance.
- Satellite or Space Vehicle experience a plus.