The Buyer II will be responsible for sourcing, issuing purchase orders, developing files and representing the company during Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) purchasing system audits.
- Analyze current orders, historical data, and other records to determine the best source. Identify and recommend suppliers by investigating potential suppliers, researching parts, equipment, machinery, services, and materials availability.
- Conduct supplier site visits and evaluate suppliers as to production capability, performance, delivery, and other key business criteria. May complete supplier certification as part of a technical and/or quality team.
- Purchase parts, equipment, and materials by preparing request for quotations and submitting purchase orders with approved suppliers. Issue purchase orders and agreements, that accurately reflect price, schedule, terms, and conditions as negotiated with suppliers. Familiarity with FAR/DFARs and AS9100 is a plus.
- Select suppliers for lower cost items or items of limited scope and complexity and negotiate price, delivery, quality and service. Develop alternate sources of supply by identifying and researching prospective suppliers.
- Monitor and evaluate supplier performance. Advise appropriate personnel of impending supplier failure to fulfill contractual agreements that may delay production or delivery. Resolve shipment quality discrepancies by mediating supplier/manufacturing issues. Facilitate the resolution of issues by arranging and participating in conferences between suppliers and company personnel.
- Negotiate and settle damage claims, rejections, and losses, return of materials, over-shipments, cancellations and engineering changes with suppliers.
- Advise supervisor when rescheduling is necessary. Follow up, expedite, and negotiate changes relative to delivery and supplier performance.
- Maximize the value of each purchase with the Company's requirements and policies to achieve balance between function, productivity, quality, and other terms with suppliers and various internal departments.
- Maintain professional relationships with internal and external customer and suppliers.
- Ensure that competitive quotes are received for items purchased, or when competition is not possible, that all documentation needed to comply with federal acquisition regulations (e.g. sole source documentation) is written and filed appropriately.
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration or a related field.
- 3+ years of purchasing experience.
- Familiarity with Southern California suppliers and distributors.
- Ability to gather, relate and summarize information into logical conclusions.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to interact with internal customers and suppliers.
- Highly motivated individual capable of handling multiple responsibilities.
- Requires advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to use business systems software.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
- Experience with CostPoint accounting software (desired).
- Aerospace or electronics manufacturing industry experience (desired).
- Certifications from Industry associations is a plus (C.P.M.)