We have an immediate need for a Director of Hardware to work within Avionics Systems in the Products & Engineering Division. The Director of Hardware will provide system-level electronic systems design expertise. The candidate will quickly become a recognized and respected technical resource in the organization, and represent the company by discussing innovations with customers at various meetings, designs reviews, design various review activities and initiate business development activities to capture follow on and new business opportunities for the company. Must have excellent communication skills, a team oriented approach, an interdisciplinary outlook and strong self-motivation skills.
- Manage design parameters, including reliability, maintainability, manufacturability, testability, and risk.
- Manage power, MTBF, weight, throughput and hardware resource budgets.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams and customers.
- Ability to solve field problems and participate in field and laboratory testing offsite.
- Lead the development, qualification, and certification of specific tests as defined in DO-160, MIL-STD 461F, and MIL-STD 464C, as well as other relevant customer test requirements documents.
- Support technical liaison between customers, engineering, and other non-engineering functional groups such as manufacturing, quality, material, etc.
- Provide technical support to the project and engineering test teams.
- Develop and coordinate all EMI test requirements, test equipment, and alternate test locations.
- Troubleshoot EMI test setups and configurations and propose solutions.
- Ensure technical specifications and meet customer needs/requirements.
- Present schedule, budget, and designs to Sr. Management and customers.
- Generate detailed system/device specifications, and manage specification trade-offs.
- Initiate and compose technical proposals, and review proposals written by others.
- Adhere to and improve documentation procedures in compliance with established AS9100 quality procedures and processes.
- Lead/mentor other engineers in completing their assignments, and coordinate assignments with other project team members.
- Ensure the accuracy/appropriateness of all work products from activities and team members.
- Ensure project development plans realistically and address risks.
- Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering with 15 years of hardware design experience, or Master’s in Electrical Engineering and 7 years of hardware design experience is a plus.
- Experience with managing/executing projects for on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Expertise in analog, digital/power supply circuit design from conceptual stages through manufacturing, and PCB design/component layout.
- Experience with navigating the most cost effective solution to address design changes caused by parts obsolescence.
- Experience with the complete product lifecycle from concept through verification/validation, transition to manufacturing, and sustained report.
- Experience with airborne avionics applications is preferred.
- Ability to assess/review system analyses, generate detailed test specifications and in analyzing test outputs, and evaluate/critique the work of others through informal discussion/formal peer review.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written are important.
- U.S. Citizenship is required and ability to obtain a Security Clearance or have an active Secret Security Clearance.